Thursday, June 7, 2012

Beauty Tip/Review - Tinted Moisturizer

Summer is by far my favorite season of the year. It brings back such wonderful feelings for me. When I reminisce about my past some of my most vivid memories are of things that occurred during the hot summer months. Although I made good grades (I wish I had put more effort into my studies as I did my extracurricular activities) I was never really excited about school. I was happiest enjoying the carefree days of all the school breaks. I was very blessed that my parents took us on wonderful vacations every summer, my birthday is in July, and I love the warmth of the sun. Growing up in San Diego we basically have two seasons, warm and hot. To be more specific I grew up in what I call "East La Jolla" and when I say "East La Jolla", I really mean Santee. For those of you who are not familiar with Santee, it is a valley and in the summer it is hot! I love, love, love the water and this weather enabled to me spend a lot of time in the water.

Let me preface this with a quick apology to my mom. Sorry mom. Growing up my mom wasn't really into skincare and sun damage. This was probably more just because of the times rather than anything else. I am Mexican, Filipino, Caucasian, have always tanned easily, and never really burned too badly. While growing up there was really only one option when it came to sunscreen; it came in a pink bottle with a logo of a little girl and dog on it. We now have hundreds of sunscreen products available.

Even if I have a "no make-up day", I will ALWAYS put on sunscreen. If you asked me for one beauty/skincare/make-up tip; it would be this! Never leave the house without sunscreen on. It is even possible to incur sun damage through windows in your home. My favorite beauty product is tinted moisturizer. With such a crazy schedule this is a "can't live without product". You are moisturizing, protecting and getting a little bit of color correction in one easy step. I have three recommendations that can fit every one's budget.

Laura Mercier is my favorite of the three but it is my pocketbook's least favorite. It goes on very evenly and doesn't leave that "sunscreen" type feeling. It comes in a variety of shades and in an Oil Free formula as well. You can purchase it at Nordstroms, online, but I prefer Sephora. Sephora has a Beauty Insider program that you can earn free products with your purchases. If you spend $50 or more the shipping is free AND they send you free samples with your order. The Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer is $42 for a 1.5 oz tube or $58 for 3.4 oz tube. It is SPF 20 and gives decent coverage.

I am currently using Jane Iredale Dream Tint - SPF 15. This is my semi-conscious choice. It is is a light weight MINERAL tinted moisturizer. It comes in less shades than the Laura Mercier but I feel that the color is more forgiving. It has won an Allure Reader's Choice Award AND is Skin Cancer Foundation recommended (as well as Analisa recommended and IMO that is what really counts) haha! According to the website - This super-absorbent tinted moisturizer not only hydrates, but prevents water loss, calms inflammation and improves the skin's elasticity. Plus, Dream Tint creates a soft-focus effect that minimizes the look of large pores and fine lines. You can purchase it online, in medical offices, and at some Nordstroms. It is $36 ( I think it is for 3 oz).

My third choice would be for Boots No7 Soft and Sheer Tinted Moisturizer. I found this product at Target for the price it is great. It has a SPF 15 protection, it is unscented and gives a very sheer coverage. It is 1.69oz for $11.99 online.Can't beat the price.

My dear friend, Laurel is an uber knowledgeable aesthetician. I have learned so much about not only skin care but about health and nutrition as well. I have asked her to join me in creating this blog and share her knowledge with you as well. She has assisted me on my journey to becoming more conscious. She has been holding my hand (no...not literally) every step of the way and has helped empower me to this better way of life! - Look for her post soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment