Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Blueberry Mango Muffins


MANGO BLUEBERRY MUFFINS WITH COCONUT STEUSEL



A few months ago Sprouts was having a sale on berries and I made some scones. They were not a huge hit at home so I brought the rest of them to my office (my co-workers will eat anything). Laurel loved them and has been asking me to make them ever since. 
This week they had Blueberries on sale so I picked some up planning on making them for her again. I also had a ton of mango that I wanted to use. I was thinking about putting them in the scones but thought it would probably add too much moisture to the scone. I found this recipe on another blog - Ryan Bakes. I made them last night and they were a huge hit... I did bring one to Laurel! I didn't make the streusel because I didn't have any coconut on hand but I did have sugar in the raw that I sprinkled on top. I think these would be great made with any type of berries.

Ingredients:

For the Steusel Topping:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tbs. white sugar
3 tbs. sweetened flaked coconut, chopped
1 pinch salt
2 tbs. butter

For the Muffins:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup mango- peeled, seeded, and diced

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Grease 14-16 muffin cups or line with muffin liners.

2. Combine 1/4 cup flour, cinnamon, 1 tbs. sugar, the coconut, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl.  Cut in 2 tbs. of butter and incorporate completely until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Use either a fork or your fingers to work the butter into the flour mixture.

3. Beat the unsalted butter, 1 1/4 cups sugar, and 1/2 tsp. of salt with an electric mixer in a large bowl until smooth.  Beat the first egg into the butter until completely blended before adding the second; continue mixing until light and fluffy.  Combine 1 3/4 cups of flour with the baking powder. Stir into the butter mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Only mix until just incorporated-- be careful to not overmix. Toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup of flour; stir into the batter along with the mango.  Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins; sprinkle with the coconut streusel.

4.  Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown and the tops spring back when lightly pressed, about 25 to 35 minutes.

Adapted from allrecipes.com

1 comment:

  1. I thought of you as I passed that aisle in Sprouts! They are so tasty, but the blackberry scones are still #1 :)!! --Laurel

    ReplyDelete